of Directors, Canadian
Federation of the Humanities & Social Sciences
Former Canada Research Chair, 2002-2012
Please note: these pages were hastily moved from http://myweb.dal.ca/jl441155 because of the decision to delete the university platform for faculty pages. Some links to images and pages may not work yet.
On this page: Courses | Research Interests & CV | Related Online Resources and Academic Associations | On University Issues
Go to: Selected Curriculum Vitae | Social Sciences and Humanities Oceans Research & Education (Dalhousie-Memorial University of Newfoundland research network) | Bibliography of Nineteenth-Century Irish Literature
Courses (2017-18): ENGL2238 (Fall), "Children's Literature" (preliminary syllabus); ENGL1040 (Winter), "Reading Popular Culture" (preliminary syllabus).
Selected Previous Courses: ENGL4990 (Fall), "Capstone": preliminary syllabus; ENGL3040 (Winter), "Irish Literature, 1700-1900"; ENGL2002 "British Literature after 1800" (2014-15); ENGL4809 "Communicable Romanticism: Medicine, Literature, Politics" (2014-15); ENGL3040 "Irish Literature, 1700-1900" (2013-14); ENGL3025: Romantic Era, 1789-1832 (2013-14); ENGL5402: Literary Theories in/of Romanticism (2012); ENGL4805: Nationalism and Romantic Literature (2011); ENGL5402: The Gothic Century: Romanticism and Gothic Literature from 1764-1864 (2010); ENGL1010: Introduction to Prose and Fiction (2011); ENGL5407 "Landscape and Loss: Nineteenth-Century Irish Literature" (2006); ENGL5404 "Ireland and the Geopolitical Imaginary in British and Irish Literature, c. 1750-1850" (2008); EURO2100X "Europe: Ideas, Culture and Society" (Fall 2008).
nationalism in Europe (1789-1914), nineteenth-century British
literature, transatlantic studies, cultural studies, and the gothic.
CV: For a list of my books, articles, selected conference papers, etc., please click here.
Links for British and Irish Literature and Culture (1780-1900):
- Bibliography of Nineteenth-Century Irish Literature
- Belphégor: Popular Literature and Media Culture
- The William Blake Archive
- British Women Playwrights around 1800
- Jack Lynch's Eighteenth-Century Resources
- Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net
- Victorian Web
- Victorian Women Writers Project
- Voice of the Shuttle
- Women Romantic-Era Writers
Other Useful Links:
Homepages for Related Academic Associations
- North American Society for the Study of Romanticism (NASSR)
- American Conference for Irish Studies (ACIS)
- Association of Canadian College and University Teachers of English (ACCUTE)
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (ASECS)
- British Association for Romantic Studies (BARS)
- Canadian Association for American Studies (CAAS)
- Canadian Association for Irish Studies (CAIS)
- Canadian Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (CSECS)
- Interdisciplinary Nineteenth-Century Studies (INCS)
- International Gothic Association (IGA)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- North American Victorian Studies Association (NAVSA)
- Northeast Modern Language Association (NEMLA)
- Victorian Studies Association of Ontario (VSAO)
Resources on University Issues