Wright, PhD, FRSC
alternative e-mail address: juliamwrightdal [at] gmail.com
Books | Essays | Conference Papers | Further Information from CV
- Men with Stakes: Masculinity & the Gothic in US Television. Manchester: Manchester UP, 2016.
- Representing the National Landscape in Irish Romanticism. Syracuse NY: Syracuse UP, 2014.
- Ireland, India, and Nationalism in Nineteenth-Century Literature. Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2007; paperback, 2009. (Original title: "Insensible Empire: Representing India, Ireland, and National Feeling in Nineteenth-Century Literature")
- Blake, Nationalism, and the Politics of Alienation. Athens, OH: Ohio UP, 2004. Winner of the 2002 Northeast Modern Language Association / Ohio University Press Book Award, and excerpted in Blake's Poetry and Designs (Norton, 2nd ed.).
- (co-ed. with Jason Haslam) Casino Royale (1953), by Ian Fleming. Peterborough: Broadview Press, 2020.
- (ed.) The O'Briens and the O'Flahertys: A National Tale (1827), by Lady Morgan. Peterborough: Broadview Press, 2013.
- (ed.) Irish Literature 1750-1900: An Anthology. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2008.
- (ed. & intro.) The Sons of Erin (1812), by Alicia Lefanu. British Women Playwrights Around 1800 (2004). Gen. ed. Michael Eberle-Sinatra and Thomas Crochunis. The site is no longer available, but the text of the play was also posted on my website--which still exists.
- (ed.) The Missionary: An Indian Tale (1811), by Sydney Owenson (Lady Morgan). Includes an introduction and appendices. Peterborough: Broadview Press, 2002.
Special Journal Issues:
- (co-ed. with Joel Faflak) A Handbook to Romanticism Studies. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012; paperback, 2016.
- (co-ed. with Kevin Hutchings) Transatlantic Literary Exchanges, 1790-1870: Gender, Race, and Nation. Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2011.
- (ed.) Companion to Irish Literature. 2 vols. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- (co-ed. with Elizabeth Sauer) Reading the Nation in English Literature: A Critical Reader. New York: Routledge, 2009.
- (co-ed. with Jason Haslam) Captivating Subjects: Writing Confinement, Citizenship, and Nationhood in the Nineteenth Century. Toronto: U of Toronto P, 2005.
- (co-ed. with Joel Faflak) Nervous Reactions: Victorian Recollections of Romanticism. Albany, NY: SUNY P, 2004.
- (co-ed. with Tilottama Rajan) Romanticism, History, and the Possibilities of Genre: Re-forming Literature, 1789-1837. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1998; paperback, 2006.
- (ed.) Irish Romanticism. European Romantic Review 28.4 (2017).
- (co-ed. with Lauren Goodlad) Victorian Internationalisms. Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net 48 (November 2007).
- (ed.) Reconsidering the Nineteenth Century. Canadian Journal of Irish Studies 30.1 (Spring 2004).
- (co-ed. with Angela Esterhammer) 1798 and Its Implications. European Romantic Review 10.2 (Spring 1999).
HBA (1988); MA (1989); PhD (1994), University of Western Ontario
Recent External Awards and Research Grants:
- Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (2017)
- SSHRC Insight Grant (2013-2018; 2020-2024)
- SSHRC Connection Grants (2015; 2017)
- SSHRC Standard Research Grants (1997-2000; 2002-05; 2006-09; 2009-12)
- Canada Foundation for Innovation Grants (2002-05; co-applicant, 2007)
- Canada Research Chairs (2002-05, in English & Cultural Studies; 2005-10, in European Studies, and renewed 2010-12)
Selected External Professional and Academic Service:
- President, Academy of the Arts and Humanities, Royal Society of Canada (2019-2022; includes serving on RSC Board of Directors and Governance & Ethics Committee)
- Member, Board of Directors, Council of Canadian Academies (2020- ; includes Audit, Finance, & Risk Committee)
- Co-Organizer, "North Atlantic Worlds." Memorial University of Newfoundland, 24-27 June 2020. (SSHORE conference; cancelled because of COVID-19)
- Board of Directors, Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences (2015-2017; re-elected 2017-19, also Finance & Audit Committee)
- Co-Organizer, "Canada's Responsibility to Our Shining Seas." 10-12 May 2017 at Dalhousie University. SSHRC-funded workshop for SSHORE (Social Sciences and Humanities Oceans Research and Education, a Dalhousie-Memorial research network)
- Editorial Board, Nineteenth-Century Studies (2011- )
- Executive Committee, MLA Discussion Group for Anglo-Irish Literature (2010-15)
- Editorial Board, Genders (2008-16)
- College of Reviewers, Canada Research Chairs Program (2002- )
- Conference Committee. Romanticism & History. 10th annual conference of the North American Society for the Study of Romanticism. University of Western Ontario. London, Canada, 22-25 August 2002.
- Conference Committee. 1798 and Its Implications. First joint conference of the North American Society for the Study of Romanticism and the British Association for Romantic Studies. St. Mary's University College. Strawberry Hill, England, 6-10 July 1998.
This page was last updated on 10 July 2020, by Julia M. Wright.
- Associate Dean Research, FASS (July 2013-June 2016); includes FASS Library Committee, FASS Research Development Committee, Dalhousie Research Advisory Committee (university), and so on.
- Co-Organizer, "European Cooperation/Cooptation: Ideas of Collaboration and Coordination." Third Annual European Studies Colloquium. Dalhousie Centre for European Studies, 26-27 April 2013.
- Co-Organizer, "Performing Europe / European Performances." Annual European Studies Colloquium. Dalhousie Centre for European Studies, 27-28 April 2012.
- Organizer. "European Mediations: Transnational and Supranational Formations." Annual European Studies Colloquium. Dalhousie Centre for European Studies, 9 April 2011.
- Acting Co-Director, Centre for European Studies (2011-2013)
- Research Development Committee, FASS (2006-07, 2008-10)
Selected Recent University Service:
- President, Dalhousie Faculty Association (2019-20)
- President-Elect, Dalhousie Faculty Association (2018-19)
- Grievance Officer, Dalhousie Faculty Association (2018- )
- Bargaining Team, Dalhousie Faculty Association (2017-18)
- Senate Workshop Planning Group (Diversity, Inclusion) (2015-16)
- Research Sub-Committee, Senate (2013-2015)
- Dalhousie SSHRC Leader (May 2013-June 2016)
- Scholarly Integrity Committee (2012-2014)
- Ad Hoc Committee to Revise Scholarly Integrity Policy, Dalhousie (2010- ; Chair, 2011-2012); Committee to Review the Scholarly Integrity Policy, Dalhousie (2015-2016)
- University-level work at previous universities: Senate, Senate Executive Committee, Research Grants Committee, etc.